Installation of Joint Sealant – CIVIL WORK
This article is about Installation of Joint Sealant and focusing to the engineers, technicians and supervisors. You will find lot of documents related to this article. Just navigate our website www.paktechpoint.com and find more articles. Please! Do not forget to subscribe our You tube channel also. Thanks in Advance.
Installation of Joint Sealant
1) This instruction describes the steps to be taken and sequence of events necessary to enable satisfactory completion of each activity.
2) All inspection requirements will be conducted.
3) All surrounding equipment on the perimeter of the work area to be sealed shall be protected by means of barricade.
4) Expansion, contraction and isolation joints shall be sealed as specified in the standard drawing.
5) Work permit shall be secured ahead of time.
6) Materials to be used have Material Approval and stored in acceptable storage recommended by the vendor.
Work Procedure Installation of Joint Sealant
1) Joint Preparation
a. The purpose of surface preparation is to remove dirt, dust and sand that had been deposited in the dry joints by construction vehicles and runoff.
b. The filler board in the expansion or isolation joints will be cut to required depth indicated on the IFC drawing.
c. Contraction joints will sawed as per required width and depth indicated on the IFC drawing.
d. The joints will be water blasted by means of pressurized water spray gun and blown dry with compressed air.
2) Backer Rod Installation
a. The rod is inserted into the joint uniformly to required depth without stretching or tearing it.
b. Backer rod can be installed manually or by using small steel wheel mounted handle to roll the backer rod into place.
3) Sealant Application
a. Sealant shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s data sheet and recommendation.
SIKAFLEX CONSTRUCTION SEALANT
Safety points Installation of Joint Sealant
1) Personal Protective Equipment (face shield, goggles, dust mask, ear plugs and gloves) will be worn at all times.
2) Barricading of work areas of equipment shall be checked prior to start the work.
3) All equipment for works shall be inspected by Safety Supervisor/ Officer prior to start of work to ensure their worthiness of work.
4) All workers shall be prevented from trespassing into the barricade areas except those who will execute the work. Extended working schedule shall be intimated in advance, proper lighting arrangements, PPE, emergency vehicles and tools shall be arranged with necessary safety personnel engaged in the working area.
5) Safety Supervisor shall carry out the safety site inspections to ensure that safety requirements laid out in Safety Action Plan are followed during the execution of sealant applications.
6) Emergency exit point, assembly area, emergency evacuation plan and emergency numbers shall be posted on the boards.
7) All personnel involved on the sealing works shall have to undergo Safety Training conducted by HSE.
Tools & Equipment used during Installation of Joint Sealant
1) All tools and equipment shall be inspected by department to ensure that the equipment is in good running condition. All damaged, unsafe or defective tools will be marked, tagged as Unsafe or with a Red Paint and shall remove from operation to assure that no one will use such tools on the job.
2). All tools and equipment e.g. hand and power tools etc. require special attention and Protection for their use and guidelines.
3) Electrical Tools and Equipment shall be used in accordance with GFCI requirement.
a. Portable Water Jetting Machine
c. Mason Tools
d. Carpenter Tools