Installation of Static Machinery Procedure
This method statement will cover the minimum requirements for installation of static machinery, such as reactor, columns, drums, shell & tube exchanger, packages equipment, equipment module and miscellaneous equipment.
Industry Codes and Standards
- API 686 Recommended practices for Machinery installation and installation Design
- AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
Latest Revision of the following Documents shall be used.
1. Vendor Drawing
2. Foundation Drawing
3. Equipment Details
Tools and equipment Installation of Static Machinery
Tools and equipment needed should be in good condition and must be checked by competent person and respective supervisor prior to use in the
plant. Third Party vehicle and equipment inspections and vehicle stickers required. Saudi Aramco certified where required. These Includes but not
~ Calibrated engineering level with calibration certificate
~ Corrective wrenches all required range
~ Certified sling and hoists
~ Torque wrenches cover all range
~ Hydraulic Tensioning Machine
~ Portable vibrator meter and transducer
~ Spreader Beam Pipe
~ Welding machine
~ Concrete drill
~ Millwright Precision meter
~ Boom truck
Installation of Static Machinery Procedure
- Secure work permit and other applicable approved documents prior to work commence.
- Tools and equipment shall be made operational and available for use. Ensure tools are color-coded accordingly.
- Conduct lifting study & get approved lifting plan accordance with required cases.
- Prior to the arrival of equipment on site, shall review the manufacturer’s requirement and the requirements of this specification regarding on site storage of the equipment. These requirements shall be incorporated to site preservation plan and adhere to in all respects.
- All opening on nozzles shall remain closed during construction stage. If there are some opening remained, they may be closed with normal Plugs of malleable cast iron or with blind flanges applying corrosion inhibitors.
- Install barricades to confine the area for authorized personnel only.
- Confirm acceptances & turnover of civil works foundation/pedestals with a signed copy of works release notice prior to installation of static equipment in accordance.
- After receiving foundation release note, the following points shall be checked with the latest relevant drawing.
• Distinct position (centre) marking and height (level) marking on the foundation, It will be referred for alignment work of level and position.
• Size and number of anchor bolt and nuts, position of anchor bolts with projection.
• Existence of damages and rust of threaded of buried anchor bolts with projection.
- Using theodolite establish centerline of the static equipment unit. Mark centerline on concrete foundation using paint/ prick punch.
- Trace centerlines of foundation bolt holes with reference to gridlines. Check Verticality/plumbness of anchor bolt.
- Clean the surface thoroughly by blowing with oil-free from air compressor.
- Centerlines lost due to chipping operations will retrace anew.
- Anchor bolts shall be protected properly to avoid damages during chipping/padding work and keep it up to the equipment installation.
- The elevation of the chipped top foundations shall allow for at least 25mm of grout under the base plate as per SAES-Q-005 Concrete Foundation.
- The bottom of the equipment bases shall be cleaned and free of laitance, oil or grease.
- In case that leveling jack bolts are not provided on the equipment base frame, it shall be perform using straight liners on both side of bolts basically.
- Laitance shall be removed from the surface of the foundation and boxes by chipping to ensure good adherences of padding and grout materials to the surface preparation.
- Pads and liners shall be machined flat parallel and larger than the foot of base frame.
- Pads material shall be in accordance with ASTM A283 Gr. C, D or equivalent.
- Pad shall be hot dip galvanized in accordance with ASTM A123 or coated with zinc rich epoxy primer in APCS-1C of SAES-H-101V as applicable.
- In general, the distance between pads shall not exceed 800mm. If the distance becomes more than 800mm, an additional pad shall be added in
- Pad size shall be selected as per the anchor bolt size as follows:
• Bolt diameter M24 or 1 inch and below Pad width 50mm
• Bolt diameter M30-M48 or 1-1/4 to 2 inches Pad width 75mm
• Bolts diameter M56 or 2-1/4 inches and above Pad width 1 OOmm
- Number of pads shall be determined so the load pressure will be less than 30kg/cm2.The supporting load can be calculated as per following formula.
L: Load supported by liner (kg/cm2)
W: Lifting load of equipment (kg)
N: Number of pads
A: Width of base plate for equipment (cm)
B: Width of liner (cm)
- The length of pad shall be 20 mm to 30 mm longer than the width of the equipment bases.
- The thickness of the both taper and straight liners shall be at least 10 mm and the minimum thickness of the tapered ends shall be 2 mm. Adjustment allowance shall be 4 to 6 mm.
- The wedge liners may be applied to tower and vertical vessel, if necessary. The gradient of the wedge liners shall be generally less than 1/30, and two wedge liners shall be used in back to back so as to make their top and bottom faces in parallel.
- After finishing padding work, following points shall be checked.
• Position of center and elevation line of foundation
• Elevation and position of pads
• Cleanliness of concrete surface
• Condition of anchor bolts
Setting of Liner
- Prior to the installation of liners and equipment, the liners and grouting portion of foundation shall be chipped and all concrete laitance shall be removed from portion.
- Flat liners shall be installed at the designated position with pads of cement grout at least seven days before equipment installation. In case non-shrink grout material is used; the curing duration shall be according to the manufacture’s recommendation.
- In case that wedges liners are used the level of padding with a flat liners need to be adjust to meet with the final equipment elevation.
Lifting of Static Machinery
Prior to the installation work, the foundation shall be checked for the following :
- Distinct marking on foundation (centre marking and level marking)
• Level of pads on the chipped surface.
• Completely free from foreign material especially on chipped surface and anchor boxes.
- Prior to the installation work, the equipment shall be checked for the following points.
• Appearances of equipment such as damages. Rust etc.
• Number and appearances of auxiliary system.
• Orientation marking
• Center of gravity
• Sling points
- Prepare lifting location were the crane will be located and position.
- Prepare and set all rigging accessories according to arrangement.
- Checked wind condition, lift shall not proceed when wind velocity is greater than required of crane.
- Stabilized ground areas where crane will be located and positioned. Crane mats shall be provided in accordance to findings of soil bearing pressure.
- Crane lift & rigging requirement shall refer to approved document.
- The equipment shall be lifted by lifting lugs, lifting trunnion, tailing lugs or shell not by nozzles.
- Equipment shall be protected by wooden blocks, rubber or other suitable material that will prevent equipment from damages caused by sling wire.
- Install static equipment on top of the foundation as per approved lifting plan.
- When installed check for final alignment and elevation. Tolerances shall be as describe in following Para.
- Equipment shall be set and aligned at the proper position, elevation, levelness and perpendicularity in accordance’s with the drawing.
- With regards to horizontal type equipment requiring allowances for thermal expansion, full attention shall be paid to the position relation between the anchor bolts holes of the place and anchor bolts themselves and the nuts for sliding end anchor if any shall be loosen after curing of grout material.
- The alignment of tower and vertical vessels, which height is 20m and longer, shall be done before dawn or cloud days to avoid deviations to weather or heat.
- Upon completion of alignment, the pads liners shall be intermittently welded to each other.
- Where sliding plate is used, the surface to the vessel shall be cleaned and plastered with anti-seizing agent.
- Shims used for level alignment shall be as follows:
• Less than 0.011 0″ (2.5 mm) thick shall be stainless steel.
• Shim thicker than 0.1 00″ (2.5 mm) shall be carbon steel.
• The number of shim, shall be 4 (four) plates at one hold down bolts.
- This grout shall meet the requirement of STS 03600 when used in high fluidity range. Compressive strength shall be in excess of 34.5 Mpa 5000 psi) when mixed according to manufacturer instructions.
- Grout shall be mixed in accordance’s with grout manufacture’s instruction. ARCC shall prepare sufficient quality of grouting material, clean tools and equipment and suitable water mixture at site to complete the job.
- Grout inside skirt for vertical vessel must be filled with slope, and an all opening for drainages must be provided under the base plate to be toward the nearest surface drain.
Setting of Static equipment on Foundation:
- Setting of equipment shall be done after the base plate’s grout samples have attained design strength from the compression test conducted.
- Fit-up, insert bolt, and then proceed to preliminary tightening of nuts as per (SAIC-M-2009) High Strength Bolts Tightening Inspection and Testing ASTM A325 or A490 bolts.
- Any abnormal wear on the equipment and parts during installation and assembly shall be corrected. Prior to the commencement action written
work procedure shall be prepare and approve by contractor/company.
Setting and Alignment:
- Machinery shall be aligned at the proper position, elevation and levelness within the Tolerances specified in Para (Levelness).
- When the driver is shipped separately from the equipment common bed. The driver shall be installed after the common is aligned. Every 90 degree orientation of base plate shall be measured with reference to the Orientation of the foundation.
- Elevation ±3mm
The bottom of the plate shall measure with reference to the level marking of the foundation. At least, one point of the base plate shall be aligned within these Tolerances.
- Levelness 1/1,000 (for horizontal equipment)
The centre line of equipment shall be in alignment with the horizontal line within the tolerances of 1/1,000. If slope is required, the inclination shall be considered.
- Perpendicular ±8mm for each 1Om (for vertical equipment only)
• The center line of the equipment shall be in alignment with vertical line within the Tolerance of ±8mm for every 10 m length of the equipment, in principle, provides that such tolerance 20m and longer equipment shall not exceed ±25mm.
8.12 Assembly and Installation of Accessories:
8.12.1 Tower, Vessel and Drum
• Platform, ladders and davit, etc which are attached directly to equipment shall Installed in accordance with relevant specification and drawing.
• Assembly and installation of internals for equipment shall be performed in accordance with relevant specifications, drawing and instruction by Vendor.
- Packages Equipment
• All parts supplied by Vendors such as structure, platform, internals, piping and Instrument shall be assembled in accordance with Vendors drawing and instruction.
Installation of Associated Piping:
• All protective covers and plugs on the equipment nozzles shall be maintained until piping is ready to connect to nozzles.
• Piping shall be installed toward the equipment from the first anchor point.
• Unsupported piping shall be installed on the equipment.
• Welding on piping connected to equipment is not allowed unless the welding machine ground lead is connected directly to the part being welded. This is to avoid damages to the equipment by stray electrical currents.