Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels Pipe Supports Installation
The following keywords are used in this article and will be described in details with notes Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels. Pipe Supports Installation. Pipe Installation. Conduit Installation. Cable Tray Installation.
Industry Codes and Standards for Dress-up of Vessels
- AWS D1 .1 Structural Welding Codes
- NEMA VE2 Cable Tray Installation Guidelines
Latest Revision of the following Documents shall be used.
- Vendor Drawing
- Foundation Drawing
- Equipment Details
Tools and Equipment for Dress-up of Vessels
Tools and equipment needed should be in good condition and must be checked by Piping/Mechanical Supervisor/Safety Officer prior to use in the construction area.
These Include but not limited to:
- Calibrated engineering level with valid calibration certificate
- Corrective wrenches all required range
- Rigging accessories
- Spreader Beam
- Crawler crane
- Tag line nylon rope
- Bolt Tightener/ Impact wrench.
- Chain blocks
- Gap gage
- High-low gage
- Pipe Installation fit-up jigs
- Chain puller
- Welding machine
- Manual/ Electric Pipe Installation Bender
- Manual / Electric Pipe Installation Threader
- Electric Power Tools (i.e. drill etc.)
Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels
- All materials, accessories and consumables shall be checked upon receipt from client warehouse.
- All tools and equipment shall be made operational and available for use. Operational equipment shall be certified and color coded according to color
code of the month. Defective tools and equipment shall be returned to Central Tool room to avoid its inadvertent use.
- Ground area where dress-up activity will be done should be stable.
- The ground shall be checked for lifting activities for Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels.
- For location of crane, matting plates shall be laid out in accordance to the specified location as indicated on the approved rigging study.
- Temporary structural saddle support or temporary structural stools during dressing of vessels shall be made ready to receive the vessels.
Setting of Vessels for Dress-up
- Prior to start of any activity (Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels); secure a work permit from concerned personnel.
- The vessels will be delivered to site from fabricator using a multi-axle dolly trailer fitted with transportation saddle.
- All locations should be well compacted and all temporary structural stools or temporary structural pedestal could carry the weight of vessel for dress-up,
- Set all vessels on stable temporary structural steel stools or temporary structural pedestal. Make sure that height of pedestal is sufficiently clear from
ground to facilitate dressing-up of vessel and lifting.
- Vessels should rest on their proper orientation during Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels. Lifting lugs shall be positioned in accordance to lifting plan.
- Use forklift to insert the temporary support underneath the transportation beam.
Dressing-up for platforms & walkways
- Install required access (scaffolding, ladders) on all locations where platforms and walkways are to be installed.
- Leave-out platforms that shall be provided to facilitate final rigging.
- Platforms, gratings, handrails and ladders shall be installed as per approved drawings.
- All pre-assembly should be in accordance to approved drawings and specification of Company.
- Rectify the grating penetration and secure before erection of equipment.
- After installation of platforms & walkways QC will inspect as per Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels.
Pipe Supports Installation
- Pipe Supports Installation which are fabricated offsite shall be fully painted according to approved specifications. Material receiving inspection shall be conducted to verify compliance to drawings and specifications.
- Pipe Supports Installation for dress-up pipes at indicated locations on vessels as per vendor drawings and isometric drawings.
- Pipe Supports Installation on support clips and weld to vessels shell as per project standard and specification.
- Use proper equipment for lifting supports when needed.
- Install temporary Pipe Supports Installation to fix the pipes in its rested position during dress-up and lifting. This is also to ensure that pipes won’t move due to its weight during up-ending of vessels. After installation QC will inspect and if found acceptable proceed to piping pre-installation.
- Downcomers and other identified dress-up random lengths, spools and fittings must be delivered from the shop and considered released for erection. Upon
receipt, receiving inspection shall be done by QC as per required SATIP prior to installation as per Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels.
- Downcomers and piping for each vessel that will be installed during dress-up activity shall be verified and checked as follows: ·
- Verify if piping materials meet acceptance criteria as per SAIC/SA TIP.
- Review spool fabrication package and check requirements for erection including NOT, painting, heat treatment, cleaning, etc.
- Upon delivery, pipe spools and random lengths will be unloaded from the trailer using a crane and placed on wooden dunnage to protect pipe surface.
- Spools are visually inspected for internal cleanliness (no presence of loose particles/flakes or debris) prior to welding/bolting to the preceding and/or succeeding spools. (Follow Notes Below)
- Fine dusts are acceptable, unless specified for critical systems.
- Ends of Piping spools or partially completed piping system passed visual inspection for internal cleanliness, shall be covered & sealed to prevent entry of debris (moisture, water or other foreign materials). Note: Each section of cleaned spools or system shall be recorded.
- End covers shall not and cannot be removed by unauthorized personnel prior to making the joint of succeeding sections of piping.
- QA/QC and/or Aramco Project Inspection shall be notified prior to removal of the end covers.
- End covers removed without authorization shall make the internal cleanliness null and void.
- For joints to be welded, ensure end preparations and fit-up are done as per approved welding procedure specifications. Preparation and fit-up will be done using heavy-duty pipe stands and fixing jigs. Upon completion of fit-up QC will inspect as per as per Saudi Aramco standard.
- Upon acceptance perform full welding in accordance to approve WPS & Aramco standard of Procedure for Dress-up of Vessels.
- Completed weld will be subjected to the required NOE as per required Specification.
- Prior for hydro testing, air blowing/water flushing shall be done inside pipes/spools to remove unnecessary materials inside. Equipment sensitive to damage during water flushing are identified and isolated. (Ex: Flow meter, sight glass, soft-seated valves).
- Equipment and in-line instruments that may interfere with the flow of water and debris are removed. (Ex: check valve, control valve, sight glasses, orifice plates, venturies, positive displacement and turbine meters and other in-line equipment, etc.).
- Full bore valves (ball & gate valves) are in full open position.
- Hydro testing of dress-up downcomer piping shall be done as per SAIC/SATIP and shall be done after the NOT acceptance. Use temporary test cap for hydrotest isolation.
- After hydro testing, remove and clean water from the tested downcomer, cut the test cap from the pipe, then ensure no visible traces of water remains in the pipe by air blowing.
Piping Insulation (by other sub-contractor)
- After hydro testing insulation of downcomer pipes shall commence.
- Proceed with the erection of downcomer Pipe Installation on the vessels using approved rigging plans. Pipe Installation on the exact location as per approved construction drawing or vendor drawings in accordance to SAIC/SATIP.
- After installation, QC will conduct joint inspection prior to insulation of vessel if found acceptable start the next activity. (Pipe Installation)
Electrical Works (Optional)
- Survey the conduit routes for possible obstruction and re-routing. Anticipate the possibility of clashing against lighting fixtures, valves, field instruments and related sensitive equipment in the area providing a safe and neat installation.
- Conduit Installation shall be securely fastened within 900mm (3ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other conduit termination. Fastening shall be permitted to be increased to distance of 1.5m (5ft) where structural members do not readily permit fastening within 900mm (3ft). Where approved conduit shall not be required to be securely fastened within 900mm (3ft) of the service head above the roof termination of a mast. Refer to NFPA 70, NEC Art 344.30 (A).
- In Conduit Installation, Conduit shall be supported at intervals not exceeding 3m (1 Oft). Refer to NEC Art. 342.30(8) (1 ).
- Conduit runs shall be kept at least 300mm away from hot surfaces such as hot water pipe, hot temperature reactor, etc. But where a conduit crosses a hot pipe which is insulated, clearance of a maximum 150mm may be acceptable.
- In Conduit Installation, Channel in particular (unistrut or similar) used to support conduits, Cable Tray Installation, enclosures, lighting fixtures and other electrical equipment shall be made of steel or iron, either hot dip galvanized (preferably as supplied by the manufacturer). Refer to SAES-P-104 sec. 8.10 para. 8.10.1.
- Touch up painting for every steel surface, edging caused by cutting, drilling, welding and grinding.
- Process piping shall not be used to support conduits, except with the proponent approval. If the process piping is used to support conduits.
- Process piping shall not be used to support conduits, except with the proponent approval. If the process piping is used to support conduits, adequate corrosion protection at the interface between the piping and support fittings shall be provided. Refer to SAES-P-104 sec. 8.10. para. 8.10.3.
- In Conduit Installation, Provide appropriate plug or cap to Conduit Installation system for temporary openings to prevent foreign objects or moisture from entering. All empty Conduit Installation shall be left with initial pull wire or a nylon pull cord.
Cable Tray Installation
- Review all references such as the latest issued approved for construction drawings, layout and technical scope of work. Also refer to project specification for additional references.
- Survey the Cable Tray Installation position or location for possible obstruction and rerouting. In case of discrepancy of Cable Tray Installation layout against site conditions, shall be informed for final disposition.
- Install necessary fabricated supports for cable tray as per installation detail. All permanent materials (including fabricated supports), consumables, construction area and resources shall be prepared and checked prior to installation works and shall be approved by client representative.
- Supports for Cable Tray Installation shall provide strength and work load capabilities sufficient to meet the load requirements of the cable tray wiring system and future cable wiring system and future cable addition.
- Cable Tray Installation shall not be supported using process piping. Refer to SAES-P-104 sec.9 para. 9.9. The fabricated supports shall be intended only for cable trays.
- Minimum clearance between instrument line/conduit surface and Cable Tray Installation in parallel run shall be 300mm.
- No more than one splice shall be located between two adjacent supports. Refer to SAES-P-104 sec. 9 para. 9.5.
- Touch up painting of every steel surface, edging caused by cutting, drilling, welding and grinding.
Vessel Insulation (by other sub-contractor)
- Insulation works shall be done in accordance with the requirements of vendor or as per SAES-N-001 under para. 8.2.
Lifting of Dressed-up Vessel (by other sub-contractor)
- Prior to release for lifting, conduct another review of lifting lug capability with the new actual weight of dressed vessel.
- Secure approved rigging plans prior to lifting.
- Follow steps and procedure on rigging plans for lifting.